Tuesday, February 9, 2010

PA Senate's top Democrat retiring

And the hits just keep coming for Pennsylvania Democrats.

Following in the footsteps of the recent announcement by Speaker of the House Keith McCall that he is retiring, the Senate's top Democrat, Sen. Bob Mellow, is also calling it quits.

Sen. Robert Mellow has represented the 22nd Senate District for the past 40 years. The dual retirement of McCall and Mellow is a severe blow to the influence Northeastern Pennsylvania residents have enjoyed in the Legislature.

From Mellow's office:
Senator Robert J. Mellow, the Pennsylvania State Senate's longest-serving member and its highest-ranking Democrat, announced today that he will not seek re-election. With a lengthy record of public service, Senator Mellow's distinguished career includes two terms as Senate President Pro Tempore, the third-highest constitutional office in the Commonwealth.

"It has been my profound personal honor to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. It has literally been my life's work. I am deeply grateful for the trust that my friends and neighbors from northeastern Pennsylvania have shown me by electing and re-electing me to work for them. We have accomplished many great things together,” Mellow said.

"I have fought hard for the good people of Pennsylvania, and I have loved every minute of being in the arena. My constituents have shown me that if we stand together with honor and integrity, there is nothing that we cannot accomplish as citizens of this great state. I always knew there would come a time to make this difficult decision. I am confident I have accomplished all I set out to do for the people of Pennsylvania. I leave public life knowing that I have always strived to meet a high standard of excellence. I know in my heart that we have climbed that mountain. Now while at the top, it is time to move on to different priorities."

"The long hours in Harrisburg over the years have cost me precious time with my daughters and now my grandchildren. My choice to put them first is the right thing to do and, as jarring as this decision has been to make, I am confident that now is the right time to do it. All of those days devoted to my constituents have resulted in many good things for the 22nd District – some I never imagined possible. With those successes in mind, I am shifting my focus. My daughters and grandchildren mean the world to me, and in this next chapter of my life, I need to devote more of my time and energy to them."
Read the full announcement at Mellow's Web site.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home